The Library at UBC’s Okanagan campus invites applications for a full time continuing position as Librarian, Communications and Engagement. The Okanagan Library prides itself on being an inclusive place, a service-oriented team, and a nexus of scholarly engagement. We lead by example, and empower by design.
Reporting to the Associate Chief Librarian at UBC’s Okanagan campus Library, this position provides leadership for the UBC Innovation Library based at the Okanagan Regional Library’s downtown Kelowna branch. In addition, this position is responsible to coordinate the Communications and Engagement portfolio for UBC’s Okanagan campus Library.
The successful candidate has the specific responsibility to advance the Innovation Library portfolio. A unique library collaboration, the Innovation Library supports UBC students engaged in community-based experiential learning opportunities and collaborates with faculty, community members, and Okanagan Regional Library partners on joint research projects, knowledge mobilization, and programming initiatives. This position will actively participate in events, projects, and committees that engage the community, and develop plans and communications strategies to promote UBC Okanagan Library resources and services, both on and off campus. This entrepreneurial role is pivotal to defining and communicating the UBC Okanagan campus Library’s role to the campus and regional communities.
Additional responsibilities specific to this portfolio include:
- Assume responsibility for coordination of committees and working groups as needed, and manage staff, services and projects as required, to support the communications, marketing, and community engagement initiatives undertaken by the library.
- Develop and manage budgets for communications, marketing, and community engagement activities, and the operation of the Innovation Library.
- Identify communications, marketing, and community engagement needs and develop appropriate solutions, working closely with other librarians, library staff, and where appropriate stakeholders outside the library.
- Design and develop content and implement schedule for a variety of communications tools, including, but not limited to internal and external newsletters and publications, posters, signage, library website, social media, and event-specific materials.
- Participate in library, campus, and university-wide committees focused on communications, marketing, and community engagement.
- Liaise with the UBC Okanagan’s University Relations and UBC Library Communications & Marketing at UBC Vancouver to align communication and marketing goals and strategies as needed to ensure UBC Okanagan campus Library is represented.
- Work alongside the UBC Library Community Engagement Librarians and participate in any committees as needed and to strengthen the presence of the UBC Okanagan campus Library by applying academic community engagement principles.
- Develop and provide training in the areas of communications and marketing for librarians and library staff on an as required basis.
- Actively participate in communities of practice surrounding library communications, marketing, and community engagement and build connections with librarians working in communications, and marketing across Canada (and internationally).
This position may also be responsible for faculty liaison in assigned academic units including reference service and instructional programs, and will contribute to the overall planning for library services and spaces.
A job description can be viewed online.
The University of British Columbia’s Okanagan campus is situated in Kelowna, about 400 km east of Vancouver in the heart of the Okanagan Valley. Please have a look at the Tourism Kelowna website for more information about the area.
Currently, there are approximately 8,700 UBC Okanagan undergraduate and graduate students and 560 faculty at UBC’s Okanagan campus. Administratively, the Okanagan campus Library reports to the Provost and Vice-Principal Academic. Additionally, the Okanagan campus Library’s collections are integrated with UBC Library and library staff contributes to activities of the UBC Library. UBC’s Okanagan campus is an intimate learning environment with an excellent library infrastructure. Check out the campus website for more information.
- Required: A graduate degree from an accredited school of Library, Archival and Information Science; knowledge of library systems and applications; knowledge of reference and instructional methodologies; excellent organizational and analytical skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to perform effectively independently and in collaboration with others; ability to make decisions based on problem solving skills.
- Preferred: Public service or other relevant experience in a public library environment is desirable; experience with technologies used in graphic design, website maintenance, and social media engagement would also be an asset.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
This is a full time continuing appointment with an anticipated start date of July 1st, 2017, dependent on the availability of the successful candidate. If eligible and qualified, the successful applicant may be appointed with a confirmed appointment. Otherwise, there will be an initial three-year probationary appointment. Normally, such an appointment is reviewed following the second year of appointment, and a recommendation is made at that time to grant or not to grant a confirmed appointment. Librarians are members of The University of British Columbia Faculty Association and the terms and conditions of appointment are governed by a collective agreement.
This position is anticipated to be filled at an annual starting salary of up to $71,000, reflecting a maximum of five (5) years of experience in accordance with the Collective Agreement between UBC and the UBC Faculty Association.
Applications for this exciting continuing position are to be submitted in one consolidated file (PDF or Microsoft word format) and will include: a letter of application, including a statement of citizenship/immigration status, indicating the candidate’s education, training, and work experience in the areas listed above; a detailed and current curriculum vitae; and the names of three referees with their email addresses.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications are to be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PDT on May 28, 2017.
To view the posting and apply for this position, please visit the following link:
- www.facultycareers.ubc.ca/26286 OR
- http://www.hr.ubc.ca/careers-postings/faculty.php and select Job ID 26286
Please direct your questions to:
Manager, Planning and Operations | Library
The University of British Columbia | Okanagan Campus
3333 University Way Kelowna BC V1V 1V7
Or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.